Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Chicken Fried Chicken with Cream Gravy

I had some chicken breasts in the fridge and had no idea what to do with them.  I got on Pinterest and saw a pin, "50 things to do with chicken breasts".  I saw a picture of chicken fried chicken.  I thought, "I can do that!".  So, I did.  I also made cream gravy.  Now, gravy and I haven't been friends in the past.  I have tried several times but I just never make it right.  The last time I made it it came out brown.  My mom used to make it all the time.  She used a green plastic cup to measure the milk.  I didn't inherit the "gravy makin' " gene.  I was watching Trisha Yearwood's cooking show on Food Network and she said the secret formula is 4-4-2.  I will never forget this formula because it made the perfect gravy!!  Now, the recipe I am going to post is going to be very vague.  You see, I don't measure when I cook unless I'm following a recipe or baking.



Chicken Fried Chicken
chicken breasts (as many as you need)
canola oil (or any oil for frying)
garlic powder
kosher salt
black pepper
flour (for coating the chicken)
eggs, beaten (I used 1 for 2 large chicken breasts)

Place your chicken breasts in a Ziplock baggie.  Pound them to approx. 1/2 in thickness.  This will ensure that they cook evenly and quickly without burning the crust.  Season both sides with pepper, salt and garlic powder.  Put enough oil in a cast iron pan to come up about a 1/4 inch up the side.  You don't want to cover your chicken in oil.  Heat on med heat.  The oil is ready when you drip a little piece of flour in the pan and it sizzles.  While the oil is heating, coat the chicken in flour, then beaten egg, then flour again.  Drop in the hot oil and fry until golden brown. 

Cream Gravy (4-4-2)
4 Tbsp of the oil
4 Tbsp of flour
2 cups of milk
salt to taste
pepper to taste

Over med-low heat put oil in a pan and add the flour.  Stir with a whisk until the mixture bubbles.  You want to cook out the flour taste.  Slowly whisk in the milk until combined.  Add salt and pepper. Continue to cook until it thickens.  It should only take a few minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment